Friday AM: Sweater Hacks with Marie Greene
Instructor: Marie Greene
Want to add pockets? Done! Afterthought lace? Totally! Turn a pullover into a cardigan or vice versa? You can do that, too! You’ll leave with oodles of foolproof techniques to use on just about any sweater!
Skill Level: Beginner challenge to advanced; basic sweater knitting experience required
- Circular needles in US size 6 (24-32″) – and – DPNs in US size 3
- Calculator, pencil/pen, notebook
- General knitting notions/tools
- Size E crochet hook
- At least 50 yards of the same yarn used for homework. Be sure to choose a light worsted/dk yarn in a medium to light colorway (not black or navy, and avoid yarns that might obscure stitch definition).
- 50 yards of fingering weight yarn. Here’s a tip about choosing which yarn to bring for a workshop: Never bring yarn to class that you wouldn’t want to knit a garment with. (Similar to the advice: Never cook with wine you wouldn’t want to drink.) Crummy yarn leads to a frustrating learning experience. Bring yarn you will enjoy.
- With light worsted or heavy DK weight yarn (such as The Fibre Company Cumbria Worsted, Berroco Ultra Wool, Madelinetosh Tosh DK, or something in a similar weight range) and US size 6 needle, cast on 30 stitches and work 6 rows in garter stitch. Then work as follows:
WS: K3, P to last 3 st, K3.
Rep these two rows until piece measures 4″. Work 6 rows in garter stitch and bind off.
- Repeat to make a second identical swatch, but on the second swatch, stop after 4″ and do not finish it with garter. Cut the yarn on the second swatch and leave the live stitches on a stitch holder.
- Wet block both swatches.
- With same needle and yarn, cast on 15 stitches. Work as follows:
RS: K3, P1, K2, P1, K to end.
WS: P3, K1, P2, K1, P to end.
Rep these two rows until swatch measures 3″. Bind off and wet block.
- PLEASE NOTE: You should have three swatches for class.
Cancelled class registrations are eligible for a refund (minus a $20.00 cancellation fee per class) until March 31st, 2018. After March 31st, there are no refunds for class cancellations unless your seat can be filled from a waiting list ($20.00 cancellation fee still applies). To request a refund or transfer of class registration please contact us. Materials fees are fully refundable.